How to Immigrate to the United States

Explaining Immigration in the United States How to Immigrate to the United States

Before you begin the process of immigration, you will need to know what it entails. Specific procedures, expenses, and approval by the U.S. government are required before you can permanently relocate to the United States. 

It’s crucial to know what’s coming because it can be complicated and expensive. Step-by-step, we’ll walk you through the whole U.S. immigration procedure, and we’ll address questions like:

Obtaining a green card (also known as an “immigrant visa” or “lawful permanent residence”) immigrates to the United States. 

Public employment is possible with a green card, which can be renewed indefinitely. 

As a result, it serves as a path to U.S. citizenship. To obtain a green card, you meet specific requirements, which are not always easy to fulfill. 

Rather than applying for a long-term visa, many people instead apply for a short-term visa. 

Nonimmigrant visas (technically known as “nonimmigrant visas”) are frequently renewed and allow you to stay in the United States for an extended period.

There are many choices for long-term residency in the United States. 

Remember, however, that many people begin their journey to citizenship on temporary visas like F-1 or J-1 student visas. 

Consider whether a temporary visa can help you reach your goals if you don’t currently qualify for an immigrant visa.

How prepared are you to relocate? 

The immigration procedure can be complicated, so it’s essential to determine whether you’re eligible for a marriage-based or a family-based green card.

Visas for Immigrants in Different Categories

A green card is required to immigrate from your home country to the United States. 

Only if you meet one of the following criteria will you be eligible to apply for permanent residence in the United States.

There are Differing kinds of visas issued by the United States.

Green cards for members of the same family

Green cards based on employment

Humanitarian green cards.

Green cards from the lottery for immigrants

a green card for long-term residents

Additional approvals were granted.

Most immigrants use family and employment green cards; therefore, this article concentrates on those two alternatives. 

A closer inspection is in order.

Permits based on kinship

The vast majority of green cards are granted to immediate family members of U.S. citizens or lawful permanent residents. 

Suppose the sponsor is a U.S. citizen or a green card holder, and the immigrant is related to the sponsor significantly. In that case, the family members eligible for immigration are spouses, widows/widowers, children, parents, and siblings. 

Below you’ll find further information on how to apply for a family-based green card.

For married couples, Boundless helps them apply for their green cards. 

For $995, you get a wholly completed application packet reviewed by an independent immigration attorney who also answers your concerns about the legal aspects of the application process. 

Explore the site or see if you’re eligible without divulging any personal or financial details.

A family-based green card application in the United States costs around $1,960, whereas an application outside costs around $1,400. 

Included in this are the non-refundable mandatory U.S. government costs, as well as the average cost of the medical examination required.

According to the category under which you’re applying for an employment-based green card, the overall cost of the application can vary greatly. 

For a total of roughly $10,000, your company may be required to pay additional filing fees and labor certification costs in addition to your $1,225 green card application price.

Because filing fees are non-refundable in either situation, you must submit an accurate application in the first place. 

A green card application package from Boundless costs $995, or $83 a month (in addition to the government as mentioned above fees). This package includes all required forms and supporting documents.

You’ll have to go through a different application process depending on where you currently reside:

If you’re already in the U.S., you may be able to file your application and remain in the nation while it’s being processed. 

This is referred to as “status adjustment” (AOS)

To apply for a green card outside of the United States, you’ll typically do so from the nation where you’re presently residing and stay there. At the same time, the application is processed by your local U.S. Embassy or Consulate. 

It’s a process that’s known as consular processing.

It’s essential to know the difference between consular processing and Adjustment of Status because both have advantages and disadvantages. 

Your green card application process will follow the same fundamental steps regardless of whether you’re applying for a visa or a green card.

Step 1: Your sponsor will apply for you to immigrate to the United States to the appropriate authorities. 

On a green card application, you must fill out Form I-130, which establishes your connection to the relative who is sponsoring you. 

For employment-based green cards, Form I-140 will be used to request an employment-based green card for you.


You may be eligible to file your green card application simultaneously as your original petition, depending on the circumstances.

Learn more about concurrent filing to discover if it can help you get your green card faster.

Step 2: The USCIS will evaluate and, if necessary, approve your application for admission. 

Form I-485 or Form DS-260 can be used to apply for a green card from within the United States or from outside the United States, depending on whether you have already filed concurrently. 

You will be required to file Form I-864 as well, providing financial assistance for your family’s green card application.

Visa applicants outside the United States are obliged to submit biometric data during their consular interview.

Also required is a medical examination as part of the application.

The fourth step: A personal interview is required for both application processes. 

You will receive a notice with the day and time of your interview at a USCIS office (if you apply in the United States) or a U.S. consulate once your application has been processed (if applying outside the United States).

A decision on your application that has been accepted will be made after the interview is completed. 

 A green card would be sent to you via regular mail if you submitted your application within the United States. 

You will receive a visa to travel to the United States once you apply for your green card through consular processing, and your green card will be mailed to your U.S. address once you arrive.

In addition to the diversity lottery, humanitarian, and long-term residency green cards. 

For further in-depth information, please visit the USCIS webpage.

Throughout the entire application process, Boundless will be there for you. 

An Independent immigration attorney who will answer all of your concerns and examine your application papers will save your money in legal expenses.

How long it takes to receive a green card can vary greatly depending on the facts of your case.

If you’re married to a U.S. citizen, you may expect to get your green card in 10 to 17 months; if you’re married to a green card holder, you can expect to get your green card in 23 to 38 months. The wait for additional family green cards can be substantially longer. For the most up-to-date information, consult the visa bulletin.

If you’re applying for an employment-based green card, the length of time you’ll have to wait will be determined by the E.B. category you choose. USCIS has traditionally processed employment-based petitions in less than a month and employment-based green card applications in less than a year. However, the visa bulletin will include the most up-to-date information. Keep in mind that your firm may be able to expedite your visa application by using premium processing.

One strategy to limit your processing time to a minimum is to ensure you file your application and supporting documents correctly on your first try. With Boundless, you’ll get guidance filling out every form and the peace of mind of knowing that an impartial attorney has evaluated all your papers and supporting documentation.

The “90-day rule” should be on your radar. The first time you arrive in the United States, you must be careful not to mislead immigration officials about your intentions. AOS petitions filed within the first 90 days of arriving in the United States on a nonimmigrant visa will be extensively scrutinized by USCIS officials.

Be cautious if you’ve had visa issues in the past. Unlawful presence in the United States complicates green card applications and can lead to lengthy prohibitions on reentering the country. Consult a lawyer if you believe this will impact your application, as waivers of these penalties are occasionally achievable.

Don’t be fooled by immigration fraudsters, please. Scammers who pretend to be government officials or immigration lawyers prey on unsuspecting immigrants. Report any suspected immigration frauds to the proper authorities.

Be on the lookout for any modifications to the immigration procedure. To stay abreast of any policy shifts that may affect your immigration journey, be sure to follow Boundless on social media (Facebook, Twitter, and the Boundless blog).