How to Move to Japan: the Complete Relocation Guide

You can penetrate a previously unexplored market and build new partnerships by opening a business facility in Japan. However, an expansion also necessitates hiring an entire staff or relocating some personnel from your parent firm to Japan. How to Move to Japan: the Complete Relocation Guide You must also learn how to obtain a work visa in Japan for every international employee.

Work visa categories in Japan.

Depending on an expatriate’s occupation and motivation for migrating to Japan, Japan offers close to 30 work permits and long-term visas. Specific work visas are available for many professions, including those for skilled workers, journalists, professors, teachers, artists, and more. The length of the employee’s stay in Japan depends on the permission they apply for. Usually, the duration is between three months to five years.

Japan recently offered specific skills visas in addition to work permits for occupations, including:

Foreign employees travelling to Japan to fill job openings in particular labour sectors are eligible for the Specified Skilled Worker Visa. By 2025, Japan aspires to have welcomed 500,000 additional foreign workers.
Only skilled employees in certain areas, including shipbuilding, agriculture, nursing care, and others, may apply for the Specified Skills Visa 1-SSV1. Both technical and Japanese language tests are required. The one-year visa is renewable for an additional one to five years. The visa 2-SSV2 must be applied if the applicant intends to stay for more than five years.
Specified Skills Visa 2-SSV2: Holders of this visa may bring their families to Japan and renew it indefinitely. Only after achieving a higher degree of specialisation in their area can individuals who are already residing and working in Japan on a Visa 1-SSV1 apply for this particular visa.
Conditions for Obtaining Work Visas for Japan
Before getting a work permit or visa, individuals travelling to Japan for any purpose other than tourism must obtain a Certificate of Eligibility (COE). The COE will confirm an applicant’s legal right to enter Japan for a job, family, or another acceptable reason. Employees must possess this certificate before continuing with the visa application procedure.

Remember that each visa may have different criteria. For instance, a CV and an original university degree or certificate may be required to apply for a work visa in Japan. Other typical prerequisites include a

A Japanese company has offered you a job.
visa application form for passport
Application Process for Photos
To apply for a work permit in Japan, you must find a sponsor, usually an employer. To obtain the COE, the local sponsoring entity or the individual must apply to the regional immigration bureau. Following are the steps in the COE application process:delivering a fully completed application
submitting a 4×3-inch photo
providing a return postal package with a 392-yen stamp
assembling the necessary supporting documentation
providing a letter of assurance
Your employee must also submit a points computation if they are requesting a visa for specific talents. To be considered for a permit, candidates must receive more than 70 points under the points system, which will rate them according to their skills. You must additionally provide the following paperwork as an employer for the visa application process

written assurance

  • Request letter
    applicants for visas list
    Information about your business or group
    Japan travel itinerary
    Additional Crucial Points
    Applicants must pay a fee for the specific type of Japanese working visa they seek. The cost varies according to the visa type, the applicant’s nationality, and whether they desire a single- or multiple-entry process. A single-entry visa typically costs around 3,000 JPY, or $30, while a multiple-entry pass often costs about 6,000 JPY, or roughly $60.

August 26, Tokyo (Jiji Press) –

According to the Immigration Services Agency, 87,472 foreigners were residing in Japan as employees with specific capabilities as of the end of June, an increase of 76.1 per cent from the same time last year.

According to the organisation, the rise is due to a partial lifting of border restrictions brought on by the COVID-19 outbreak.It still needs to catch up to the government’s goal of hiring up to 345,000 people with particular capabilities in the five years leading up to fiscal 2023.Vietnamese nationals made up the most significant national group of foreign workers having the status, accounting for 52,748 or 60.3 per cent of the total. People from Indonesia, the Philippines, China, and Myanmar came after them.The food and beverage industry had the most specified skilled workers overall, with 29,617, followed by manufacturing, with 17,865 and agriculture, with 11,469 individuals.
A Japan Work Visa is required for visitors to Japan who intend to work for pay. Japan offers three different kinds of work visas

Read  Also :Farm Worker Jobs in Canada for Foreigners 2022

The ordinary Japan Work Visa can be obtained for various jobs like professor or artist

Compared to a standard Work Visa, Japan’s Highly Skilled Professional Visa is awarded using a point-based system, providing a more extended stay and advantages.
Nationals of nations with which Japan has a working holiday agreement granted a Japan is working holiday visa.
The standard Japanese Work Visa will be covered in detail in this article, along with eligibility requirements, application procedures, visa duration, etc.

Who Needs a Work Visa for Japan

A Japan Work Visa is required for any foreign national planning to reside and work in Japan at any time.
Even though citizens of several nations are free from needing a Japan visa, this exemption only applies to persons travelling for leisure, business, or short-term visits from other countries.
Everyone must obtain the proper Japan visa to stay for extended periods (for employment, school, or family reunions).

Which Careers qualify for a Japan Work Visa?

The Japanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs provides a list of professions that qualify for Japanese Work Visas:Artists, including sculptors, musicians, composers, and photographers.
Business executives, including a president, director, etc.
Engineer or humanities or international services professional, such as a scientific or IT engineer, an interpreter or copywriter, a teaching foreign language teacher designed, etc.
Entertainers, including an athlete, musicians, singers, dancers, etc.
Teacher or instructor in elementary, middle, or high school.
corporation internal transferee (someone transferred to the Japanese branch of a company)
journalists, including editors, news camerapersons, announcers, newspaper or magazine writers, etc.
Attorneys, judicial writers, public accountants, tax accountants, and other professionals in the legal or accounting fields.
Physicians, dentists, pharmacists, nurses, and other medical professionals.
nursing care
Professor, such as an assistant professor or a professor at a university, etc.
The practice of religion by monks, bishops, missionaries, etc.
Those who work in research institutes
employees with specialised knowledge and abilities, such as foreign chefs, trainers of animals, pilots, sports coaches, etc.
specialised interns
What papers do I need to apply for a work visa in Japan?
The following supporting documents must be submitted with your application for a Japan Work Visa


The eligibility certificate

Application for a work visa for Japan completed and signed. The application form is available for download on the Japan Ministry of Foreign Affairs website (here).
Your current passport and copies of it
Passport-size photos that meet the requirements of Japan
Size: 4 cm by 3 cm
taken in the last three months
the background is pure white and devoid of all patterns and shadows
You must face the front and maintain a neutral expression as you begin.
You must have a clear view of your face.
The image must be of high quality (focused, clear, and sharp)
documents outlining your position within the business or organisation, your expected income, and the length of the job.
Evidence of your prior academic and professional background in writing
documents about the receiving company, including statements of profit and loss, profit and loss statements, etc.
Any documentation that demonstrates your artistic prowess.
For religious workers: Records detailing the religious institution sending you to Japan.
Documents that describe the Japanese group that is getting funding
documents proving your employment and rank in religion
Documents about the receiving organisation for researchers, both academic and professional credentials
Documents about the receiving organisation for educators
Academic credentials or a teaching credential
Documents attesting to the connection between the two offices/companies are required for intra-company transferees.
Depending on your job, any further documentation that the Japanese Embassy or Consulate requests.

The majority of the required documentation must be sent to your employer or sponsor in Japan before you can apply for a Japan Work Visa so they can submit an application for the Certificate of Eligibility at the local Immigration Services.
This is not a complete list of required documents, and the Japanese Immigration Service and the Japanese Embassy or Consulate maintain the right to ask for additional paperwork as necessary.
How can I apply for a work visa to Japan?
There are two steps in the application procedure for a work visa to Japan:

Obtaining an eligibility certificate and applying for a work visa for Japan
In Japan, receiving the Certificate of Eligibility
Every foreigner entering Japan for an extended time must get a Certificate of Eligibility from the Japanese Immigration Services. The person responsible for managing your COE application is your sponsor (employer) (since it has to be submitted in Japan). Any pertinent documentation must be sent to them.

The Japan Work Visa is still required, and the Certificate of Eligibility for Japan is only a prerequisite. You must still apply for a Japan Work Visa from your home country. However, the COE does serve as proof that you have the Japanese Immigration Services’ approval and that you adhere to the entrance standards established by the Japanese government for foreign workers. It is simpler to get a visa after you have the Certificate of Eligibility.

Obtaining a Japan Work Visa

Your company must provide you with the Certificate of Eligibility so that you can apply for a Work Visa at a Japanese Diplomatic Representative Office (Consulate or Embassy) in your nation after receiving it. Having to:Get in touch with the local consulate or embassy of Japan. Here is a list of Japan’s consulates, embassies, and permanent missions.
You must apply through a certified travel agency or a visa application agency if one or more Representative Offices do not accept direct visa applications.

Gather the paperwork needed for a Japan Work Visa.

Apply for a Japan Work Visa directly at the embassy or consulate, a travel company, or a company that handles visa applications. You can also be required to return for an interview or to provide more documentation if the consulate or embassy deems it appropriate.
Obtain a visa. Once your application for a Japan Work Visa has been approved, you must return to pick up your passport. You might enter Japan if your application is granted.
How long does it take to process an application for a Japanese work visa?
The genuine Japan Work Visa takes five to ten business days to process (although the actual time depends on the specific office in which you apply).

However, it may take up to three months to obtain the Certificate of Eligibility for the Work Visa.

What Should I Do When I Enter Japan on a Work Visa?
At the port of entry, you will be given a Landing Permit. Once on your Work visa, you arrive in Japan e Landing Permit serves as “permission” to enter Japan in place of the key.

A Residence Card and a Re-Entry Permit are also required in addition to the Landing Permit, but only if you want to leave the country for an extended period.

Obtaining a resident card
You will receive a Japanese Residence Card and a Landing Permit if you enter Japan through the Narita, Haneda, Kansai, or Chubu Airports. If you choose to join through any other port, you will need to visit the municipal office in the area where you will be living in Japan to obtain a Residence Card.

The next step is to register at the local municipal office (also known as the Ward Office), where you are living in Japan, within 14 days of arriving in Japan. The Residence Card will be printed with your address.

When a Re-Entry Permit is required
Only you require a re-entry permit if your stay outside of Japan is more extended than one year. Do you need a Special Re-Entry Permit, which you may obtain at the airport before you go if you will depart and return within a year?

Find out how to obtain a Special Re-Entry Permit and Re-Entry Permit for Japan.

How much does a work visa for Japan cost?
The following fees apply to visas for Japan:
Visa for a single entry: 3,000 Yen
Visa with two or more entries: 6,000 Yen

The cost is only due if your application is accepted.

They will demand an extra service cost if you apply through an organisation.
The cost of a visa can vary depending on the nation you are applying from, the local currency, and your nationality.

How long is a work visa for Japan?
Depending on several variables, including your occupation and the length of your employment contract, Japan work visas may be granted for the following periods:

thirty days
three months
365 days
3-year period
three years
Nevertheless, before your work visa expires, you can apply for an extension if you meet the requirements, regardless of how long your passport is valid.

How Can a Japan Work Visa Be Extended

Wherever you live and work, you must apply for a Japan visa extension (also known as an extension of the period of stay). You require the following paperwork

Extension of the Staying Period signed and completed application.
Your passport and residence card A passport-sized photo of yourself that meets the requirements listed below:
Size: 4 cm by 3 cm
taken in the last three months
The plain background and light in colour, devoid of any patterns or shadows
You must face the front and maintain a neutral expression as you begin.
You must have a clear view of your face.
The image must be of high quality (focused, clear, and sharp)
evidence that you have the means to continue living in Japan
Proof of ongoing employment that includes information about your work, such as your pay, position, and length of time
Documents proving the company’s registration
evidence of yearly income and tax payment
If I was granted a work visa, may my family members travel with me to Japan
Yes, if you are a foreign worker in Japan, you may sponsor your spouse and children to immigrate to Japan using a Japan Spouse Visa.

Changing the Status to a Japan Work Visa from Another Type of Visa

You can apply for a “Change of Status of Residence” at the local Immigration Services office in Japan if you are residing in Japan on a visa that does not permit employment, such as a student visa or spouse visa. You must submit the same paperwork you would if you were applying for a new passport—documents outlining your position within the business or organisation, your expected remuneration, and the job length—if you want to convert your current visa into a “Work Visa.” You must submit the required paperwork and your residence card with your application, which takes two weeks to a month to process.

Your residence status change will cost you 4,000 Yen.
The following categories of foreign nationals are eligible to work in Japan.”Permanent Resident,” “Spouse or Child of Japanese National,” “Spouse or Child of Permanent Resident,” and “Long Term Resident” are among the residency categories that allow employment in any sector of the economy. Foreign nationals with one of the residencies above statuses are free to participate in any activity in Japan. They are free to work at whatever job they choose and change it anytime. Professor,” “Artist,” “Religious Activities,” “Journalist,” “Investor/Business Manager,” “Legal/Accounting Services,” “Medical Services,” “Researcher,” “Instructor,” “Engineer,” “Specialist in humanities and International services,” “Intra-company transferee,” “Entertainer,” “Skilled Labor,” and “Designated Activities” are some examples of residential status with which people are permitted to work within the limits of specific (under this status, it is allowed to work only in the activities designated by the Ministry of Justice, such as those on the working holiday scheme or in the technical intern training program).

Foreigners with one of the aforementioned residential statuses are eligible for employment placement and counselling services.

Please note that even with this residential status, the individual must either change their residential status or seek a permit for extra-status activities if they want to operate a revenue-generating business or receive compensation in a different residential quality.

The following foreign nationals are not permitted to work in Japan without first obtaining a permit for extra-status activities:

“Dependent,” “College Student,” and “Pre-College Student.”

Foreign nationals having the residency as mentioned above status are prohibited from working for pay or engaging in income-generating activities.
Foreign nationals with the statuses of “College Student,” “Pre-college Student,” and “Dependant” who desire to work must first get a permit from the Immigration Bureau for extra-status activities. The approval is only granted if it is evident that the action won’t interfere with the person’s primitive behaviour.

College and high school students can work part-time jobs as long as they won’t interfere with their studies, which are their primary activities. Students in colleges, for instance, are allowed to work up to 28 hours per week (occasional students and research students, up to 14 hours a week). Additionally, pre-college kids must work up to four hours daily at a part-time job.

Please only work in the following situations because doing so is against the law.

When a foreign person with a work visa residing outside their country of citizenship engages in extra-status activities without first obtaining a permit, such as running a business or receiving compensation for such activities.
If a foreign individual engaged in an income-generating activity or got compensation for extra-status activities while holding a residency status, that prohibits them from working.
Suppose the person stayed and worked longer than the allowed time frame. According to the Immigration Control Law, this type of work is prohibited and can result in deportation or criminal charges.
Contact the closest Local Immigration Control Bureau for more information on residential statuses.Every year, more than 250,000 international students enrol in Japanese colleges, a testament to the country’s excellent educational system, all-around alluring society, way of life, and culture.You should first look at the university application procedures if you wish to study for a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Japan. They are comparable to what you would typically anticipate from any worldwide higher education school, with a few minor exceptions.

Some of Japan’s top universities are listed below

Tohoku University, a branch of the University of Tokyo
Hokkaido College
Kyoto College
Technology Institute of Tokyo

Find out where to send your college application.
There is only one online application platform. Therefore international students must go to the website of the Japanese university they want to attend to apply. Meet the entrance requirements for the university
Some of the most typical forms of documentation that applicants to Japanese universities must present include the following:
filled out application
evidence that the application cost was paid (if applicable)
Bachelor’s degree (to apply for a Master’s) or a high school diploma (to apply for a Bachelor’s)
records transcription
a passport-size photograph (s)
a copy of a current passport or another form of identification
Letter(s) of recommendation, a personal statement, and a letter of motivation

The university may require different documents, depending on your chosen academic programme. Remember that before submitting these documents, they must be translated into either Japanese or English.

Exam for International Students to Enter Japanese Universities

Japanese institutions frequently use the Examination for Japanese University Admission for International Students (EJU) to assess whether an outsider possesses the academic qualifications and Japanese language proficiency required to enrol in one of their undergraduate (Bachelor’s) programmes.

The EJU assesses four topics:

Japanese is studying abroad.
Science (fundamental Physics, Chemistry, Biology) (introductory Physics, Chemistry, Biology)
the world and Japan (basic skills in Liberal Arts, critical thinking, and logical abilities)
Mathematics (basic skills in Math) (basic skills in Math)
Learn which institutions of higher learning make use of the EJU.

 Find out what language restrictions there are.
You might have to demonstrate your English and Japanese proficiency to enrol in a Japanese university. Each school makes this choice on its own. You can send test results for your level of English proficiency from:

Academic PTE and IELTS
You must pass the Japanese-Language Fluency Test to demonstrate your proficiency in the language (JLPT).

Apply before the deadlines for applications
The application deadlines for Japanese colleges vary based on the system they employ. The university’s official website is the best location to find out more information about these significant occasions. Here are a few samples to give you a rough idea:

Application deadline for the spring intake at universities with two intake periods: November

April 1 is the application deadline for the fall intake.
The application date for the spring intake at universities with three admissions cycles is as follows: The application deadline for the summer intake is October/November: February/April.
June/July 6 is the application deadline for the autumn intake. Final actions Upon receiving your acceptance letter, confirm your enrollment. Subsequently, apply for a student visa in Japan, purchased medical insurance, and looked for grants and scholarships. Additionally, you can use our study portals—international Distinction Awards for Scholarship.